We’re looking for a new Workshop Intern
Makerversity Amsterdam is looking for a bright, enthusiastic, self-motivated and ambitious individual to join our small but mighty team helping in our makerspace. You will be encouraged to own your role, have fun with it and innovate where you can. We’re all about collaboration, so expect to roll your sleeves up and get involved.
There is always something to do here so we celebrate initiative and teamwork. We are a close-knit team who enjoy having a laugh while also cracking on with the task at hand.
We build and run awesome spaces for a broad roster of professional makers, which combine coworking space with clean and messy workshop space, machines and tools. Really what we’re doing isn’t about the space though, it’s about people. Through our spaces we bring together people with all kinds of creative and technical expertise. Product designers, hardware and software inventors, fashion tech designers, architects, materials technicians, filmmakers, graphic designers, botanists, bicycle designers the list is endless. Our members work together, play together and inspire each other. We run learning programmes for young people to inspire the next generation of creative and practical minds and increase the diversity within the creative industries. All Makerversity members have the opportunity to play an active part in these programmes and are encouraged to pass on their experiences and expertise.
About the role
In your role you’ll be guided by, supported by and working alongside every member of our team; Director, Community Manager, Learning Manager and Workshops Manager.
During your internship you will learn everything about the machines we have and how to design for them. For example you will learn how to use the laser cutter, CNC milling machine and 3D printers (we have the best spaces around). We also want you to share your knowledge with us and our members.
We invite anyone with a background in design to apply for this internship position. You will need to have a little bit of experience in design software and a good set of manual skills would be nice. Experience with digital fabrication is certainly a plus.
We also offer all our interns to work on their own projects for half a day a week.
What opportunities we offer you…
- Entrepreneurialism: learn with confidence the inner workings of not one but multiple nimble start-up businesses across a broad range of creative and tech industries..
- Problem Solving: the chance to make real impact on the day-to-day operations of a leading co-working maker space.
- Potential Job Opportunities: access to a broad range of businesses both in London and Amsterdam.
- Rapid Prototyping: inductions on all machinery to become a fully fledged maker.
On any given day you might…
- Teach our members about 3D printing
- Build a new storage solution using the laser cutter
- Come up with actions to improve the workshop
- Advise a member on how to make their design in the best way
- Innovate space improvements for the co-working and co-making space
- Communicate with a multitude of makers and creatives, potentially even collaborate with them
- Experience with digital fabrication, product design and prototyping
- A keen team worker and collaborator
- Great eye for detail
- Goal oriented/driven
- Capable of multitasking
- A quick learner, particularly with machinery and making
Your software knowledge…
- 2D and 3D design software (think: Illustrator, Fusion 360 or an equivalent)
- Experience with different CAM software is a plus
Please send a copy of your CV/portfolio and a motivation letter highlighting how you meet the programme criteria.
All documents to be emailed to email@example.com – internship to begin in April.
Hours Monday to Friday, 9:00am – 6pm
Start Date April 2018
Duration 3 months minimum (negotiable to be longer if required)
If you have any questions drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org