Closed: We’re hiring a Chief Operating Officer
Please note that this position is now closed and we’re now looking for a CEO!
With a mixture of new and exciting opportunities, we feel that a CEO is more fitting to what we need as an organisation. If you had a look at the job spec we had already put out, I’m sure you’ll notice that this was quite close to a CEO position. It’s a big job so we want to make sure we get it right!
So on that note, we are no longer looking for the position below and instead, we will be on the hunt for a brilliant CEO. See the details here.
If you applied for the COO position, your applications are still valid and will be taken into account.
About the role
Makerversity is Europe’s most iconic and high-profile workspace and maker community. We are a company founded by ideas people. After 5 years many of those ideas are becoming a reality and we are looking for an experienced, strategic and analytical COO to oversee our organisation’s ongoing operations and new commercial opportunities, including many in an embryonic or emergent state. As our offer worldwide grows, group oversight is becoming more and more important. You will be responsible for the efficiency of business, a lynchpin around which our site or city-based directors operate whilst being able to sense check and deliver new commercial opportunities.
Our mission is to inspire and support makers and grow communities of maker businesses in city centres around the world. We do two things:
- Build and run spaces for professional makers, which combine co-working space with clean and messy workshop space, machines and tools. Really what we’re doing isn’t about the space though, it’s about people. Through our spaces we bring together people with all kinds of creative and technical expertise. Our members work together, play together and inspire each other.
- Learning programmes for young people to inspire the next generation of creative and practical minds and increase the diversity within the creative industries. All Makerversity members have the opportunity to play an active part in these programmes and are encouraged to pass on their experiences and expertise to others.
The COO role is a key member of the senior management team. You will be in charge of developing the business as a whole, in line with the creative and strategic objectives set by the board. You’ll maintain control and oversight of diverse business operations whilst being able to sense check and deliver new commercial opportunities. We expect you to be an experienced and efficient leader. If you also have excellent business and financial acumen, people skills, understand and embrace the pressures, challenges and joys(!) of working within a growing startup, we’d like to meet you.
In this role you will:
- Provide strategic oversight and ensure we are aligned with our long term plans
- Be responsible for all ongoing business activity
- Work closely with Directors to grow and deliver profitable sites
- Own group level contracts and legal conversations
- Report group updates to Creative Directors / Board
- Identify viable commercial opportunities for Makerversity Group
- Lead the development and growth of profitable new business streams
- Oversee and measure our social impact while ensuring profitability
How to apply
Please email Nana@makerversity.org to request the job information pack with more detail on the role and the application process.
Application deadline: Sunday 5th November, midnight
First round interviews: w/c 13 November
Second round interviews: w/c 20 November